200 BTC - telling my wife

Regular lurker here but this is a throwaway account for privacy reasons. Also, English is not my first language.

Between mid-2012 and early 2013, I was lucky and forward-thinking enough to have bought around 200 BTC. Fast forward today, my investment of less than $6,000 is now worth around 1,8 million dollars (on paper and before taxes, considering both BTC & BCH).

Nobody knows this, including my wife, and I'm thinking about telling her. It's an insane amount for sure, but perhaps still not life-changing or enough to live off interest: we are in our mid-thirties and we don't own a house yet (we rent and we are planning to buy one for around $300k-$350k), married since 3 years, one kid. We both work, I'm self-employed in marketing ($30k-$50k/year, highly variable) and she is an employee ($25k/year, stable). Ironically and due to poor money management, we don't have much savings in fiat and we live paycheck to paycheck.

My main concerns are:

  • job: while I love my job, she does not enjoy hers. After knowing, she might want to quit her job. Possible outcome: BTC crashes to $1,000 or less and we end up in a worse situation;

  • divorce: our relationship is great and everything, but let's be pragmatic here, could she obtain those assets in case of divorce?

  • selling: she's not tech savvy at all and perhaps she would be more willing to sell some to buy the house in cash, but I think it would be better to have a mortgage anyway and see how it goes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, mainly from people who went through similar situations, how your partner reacted and how it went, because while this is absolutely awesome, I'm very aware that if not properly planned, it can lead to issues.



Submitted November 17, 2017 at 08:37PM by 200_btc http://ift.tt/2AYxcj5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law