My Bitcoin success story

I'm currently traveling through South America, where credit cards are rarely accepted (only by really high-end restaurants and hotels). I normally take cash out of the ATM and use that, but I screwed up and forgot to take my card back from the ATM so it got eaten. I called the ATM's bank and they said it would take 5 days to get the card back, but I was already on my way to a different country. My bank said they could mail a new ATM card but that would also take 5+ days. So I found myself stuck with about $25 to last me for 5 days, maybe even more.

I looked at my different options, Western Union and MoneyGram wanted to charge about $15, plus a 3% fee on conversion rate - PLUS a bank wire fee of $25 by my own bank!

Then I had the idea to get on Coinmap, and lo and behold there's a cafe that accepts BTC. I stopped in for lunch and the owner asked me if I wanted to sell any Bitcoin. I was like hell yeah, that would be a lifesaver! He used a local exchange rate, which was worse than mine, so not only did I get a fresh stack of cash to hold me over for a week, I did everything completely "off the grid" and actually made a few percent instead of paying like $50 in fees.

It was my first cash sale of Bitcoin and it really showed me how useful and flexible having a decentralized currency can be. Anyways, just wanted to share my success story from today :] Cheers all



Submitted May 04, 2018 at 11:09PM by btc32123 https://ift.tt/2rmTEPN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law