I made a satoshis piggy bank for my son

I tweeted this sometime ago:

Bitcoin hardware wallet that’s WiFi connected and shows the dollar value of the bitcoin within it would be useful as a piggy bank for kids.

Watching their savings grow over the long haul would help kids develop low time preference

The idea really grew on me, so I thought maybe I can build one myself with a Raspberry Pi. And I did. Here it is:

To be clear, this is not a wallet. It's simply a bitcoin address tracker. It's programmed to check the satoshi balance of a bitcoin address, multiply the balance by the current satoshi price then display both the satoshi balance as well the dollar value, as you can see in the pictures. It refreshes every 60 minutes.

I put the device in my son's room. I started him off with a few dollars[1]. He then added a few more dollars from his allowance. I explained to him how the dollar value of his satoshis is designed to grow over the long term. He really likes the idea and he wants to be rich some day.

I'm hoping that this will help him develop the value of saving and low time preference in general.

This was a fun project to work on. Let me know if you have any questions. If there's enough interest, I might post a step-by-step guide on how I built this, and the Python code that powers it.

[1] The balance that you are seeing in the pictures doesn't belong to us. It's from a public address I found online.



Submitted October 13, 2019 at 12:53AM by kiltonred https://ift.tt/32h7zYg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law