My Full Node Bandwidth Usage

I have this desktop at home that is ON 24/7, so 2 years ago I started seeding open source torrents (eg: linux distros) and also set up a full Bitcoin node. While I don't use Bitcoin (fiat is good enough for my needs), I like the idea of having an alternative. I had enough disk space and don't have any (edit: data) caps, so I thought I could help the network.

There are a few posts about bandwidth usage here already, but maybe someone thinking of running a full (seeding) node will find this info useful.

The computer runs Windows 10, so I use Netlimiter Pro to keep an eye on data usage and limit speeds. Stats since 2019/03: https://i.imgur.com/3RzPvpK.png

My node usually uploads 350-400GB a month with a 1MB/s upload limit. Sometimes it uploads more (2019/04: 642GB; 2019/08: 594GB) and sometimes less (2019/09: 358GB), depending on what the peers are doing. Some days it uploads 5-10GB, other days 30-40GB.

It's clear that I could go over 1TB on heavy months if I wasn't seeding torrents or didn't have a speed limit in place, but since this is a home connection, I can't go near my upload limit (~2MB/s) without affecting normal usage (slow web browsing, high latency on gaming, etc).

Also, no problems with DDoS or complaints from my (UK) ISP so far.



Submitted January 28, 2020 at 11:33PM by 9DD90 https://ift.tt/37yTqIh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law