I don't like being my own bank.

I expect this to be controversial, and I expect to get downvoted, but that's okay. This is a throwaway because I don't want to talk about my BTC holdings on a traceable account.

I hold a few BTC. Less than 50, more than 10. I bought most of them in 2014. I've spent a few here and there, but have been DCAing pretty much constantly over the last few years, although because the price has gone up so much, I've probably added less than 1 BTC to my total in the last 3 years.

All my coins are on a hardware wallet. I used to use paper, but got paranoid about losing it. I like hardware wallets, they're the best of a bad situation.

And by "bad situation" I mean that I don't want to be my own bank. About 80% of my total net worth is tied up in BTC, and I can tell you, it's quite stressful to be responsible for that much value in one place. My remaining net worth is mostly tied up in my house, and in various stocks and shares, and I'm much more relaxed about that.

Owning BTC is constantly in the back of my mind, and I don't mean the worry of the value going down. I'm sure the value will continue to rise, and even if it doesn’t, I'm totally at peace with that. The thing which is always in the back of my mind is knowing that, if somehow I lose my balance, I'll have no comeback. I want it to be in a bank where I get cover. I don't stress about losing my stocks and shares because the brokers I use are covered, and because, well, it's their *job* to look after my money. I'm just a regular Joe, I don't want to be my own bank. Oh, and I know the stats about how secure hardware wallets are etc. so I'm not looking for reassurance about that, it's simply that looking after it is stressful, regardless of how secure it is. Not to mention the additional worry about what happens if I die. If it was in a bank my next of kin would just take over ownership. As it is, I have to do something to make sure that if I die unexpectedly my next of kin are able to access my crypos.

I like that I can my own bank (for smaller, say < $10k value amounts), but if BoA came out with an account tomorrow which I could transfer my BTC to, I would. And you know what, I'd sleep better too.

(I know this is a bit of a /r/AmItheAsshole post! - I understand this is a good problem to have).



Submitted November 20, 2020 at 03:09PM by ThrowawayBTCer123 https://ift.tt/3pK3gk8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law