Victim of Ledger data leak receives phone call threatening kidnapping and murder

Earlier today I have received a phone call from a fake number (it appeared as the phone number of my local police station).

A male, Anglo-accent caller asked if I was <my full name> and claimed to be a drug addict, and gave me my full address, and said he knows I have a lot of bitcoins. When asked how, he said my information has been leaked on the dark web. I played dumb and he eventually says I purchased a ledger hardware wallet and “only loaded c*nts” buy them.

He told me a sob story about how he is addicted to meth, is about to run out, and needs monero to buy more. He demanded 10 XMR and said if it’s not sent by midnight, he will show up at my house, kidnap me, and “stab to death” any relatives living at my address. I was able to record this phone call as I put him on speaker phone.

I have went to the police and filed a police report. They are going to try and trace the caller and has sent a police car to wait outside which I am very grateful for. All of my doors etc are locked and I have the officer’s phone on speed dial.

I just want to warn everyone about the dangers of Ledger’s recklessness. If there is a class action lawsuit I will gladly join and submit this as evidence.

Thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwalletleak/comments/ki1nsz/received_phone_call_threatening_kidnapping_and/

It looks like the warnings about data and privacy around having hardware wallets sent to your home have come true. Bitcoin is unlike most other assets and is open to theft and threats like this. This isn't the first nor the last time. Privacy isn't "just for criminals". Saying "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" is bullshit.

To check if you're affected check: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If you've been affected by the leak head over to r/ledgerwalletleak, it seems people are organizing a group lawsuit.

edit: added link to check if you're affected



Submitted December 22, 2020 at 06:35PM by belcher_ https://ift.tt/2WFXhzm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law