Failed at buying Nuts at the Fair with Bitcoin, Disheartening

Every year at the NC State Fair, there is a nut seller who proudly displays Bitcoin Accepted sign. The only one, mind you, of 200+ vendors at the fair. Every year I make it a point to spend my most prized physical possession on random nuts at this tent. My kids, who were born shortly after I discovered Bitcoin, were there with me also. I am raising them to be Bitcoiners and these moments are important for that purpose.

Selections are made. Time to pay. I got the Mycelium wallet on my trusty Oneplus 6 at the ready for a lightning transaction. Upon hearing my Bitcoin payment selection the guy manning the register looks puzzingly at the crudely arranged payment system that resembles an Ipad with some sort of card reader attachment (not Square). He throws a question to a lady at the back who comes up to help. She can't figure it out after flailing at the screen for a couple minutes and gets on the phone. She calls somebody (the owner presumably) and they get her to a screen that shows OVER 80 cryptos and Bitcoin isn't even in the top 30 on the main screen. I told her to use the search function to search for it.

At this point there is a line forming and there is quite the audience to this debacle with Bitcoin being mumbled hear and there.

Finally she gets to a QR code I can scan. It fails in the Mycelium app. I tried it twice resulting in "Unrecognized format" errors.

I examine her address closely and it starts with a 3. So I make sure my app shows the 3 address instead of legacy or bc1.

It fails again, unrecognized format. At this point I realize this is not going to happen without troubleshooting both ends. We offer to pay with USD just to get the thing done, while she is apologizing and telling me the website purchase option works properly.

I was really embarrassed. Also, my son said, "I thought you said Bitcoin was better money."

I didn't say anything to anyone else about it, but walked quietly stunned with my family through the throng of people with my fiat bought Hot Spicy peanuts in hand.



Submitted October 15, 2022 at 09:16PM by BeefSupreme2 https://ift.tt/HAnP5Mx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coinmarketcap are listing BCH sites as BTC

15 years of BTC Power Law